Monday, November 24, 2008

Um...Marketers? Another Word, Please...

I'm spending the next few days out at the Kings River. I stopped at the store to get provisions and fun stuff...lemon creme cookies and ginger thins. In the checkout line I impulse bought the Sexiest Man Alive issue of People magazine. My sister Jessy (Good Things? Perhaps you've heard me mention it before?) followed me out here and made one of the tastiest apple pies ever! She put toasted nuts and streusel on top of the apples instead of another pie crust. It was like a pie/crumble combo and tasted like pure heaven!!

So anyway...we visited with our friends and flipped through People magazine when we came to an editorial spread of hot dudes.....and portions of their photos, on the magazine pages, are scratch n sniff. Let me repeat. Scratch n sniff. Like stickers from the 80s. I KID YOU NOT. There are all these pictures of shirtless celebrities with a headline that asks, "What fragrances make these guys feel their sexiest? Rub the pictures to find out!"

I'm not going to even get into the issue of scent sensitivities and just cut right to the chase: WHO ON EARTH THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA?? Are we all still 12? Am I supposed to think this piece of paper with some scent molecules on a picture of Chris Meloni will conjure up a real day at the beach? Is it supposed to make people want to buy something? Are supposed to believe this shit? I just don't get it.

5 comments:

I Know Right? said...

You know i had to drive two hrs to take the kids to Emory of all places to see trees in Texas do their SEASONAL THANG! It was gorgeous, for about 5-10 miles, then the trailers and duelies with rebel flag stickers popped back up. Whatevs.

stephanie said...

I'd say some of the Y-ers have taken virtual reality just a bit far...

AMY said...

Scratch and sniff sexy men seems very weird and like a migraine waiting to happen.

On the other hand, enjoy your Thanksgiving at the river -- that sounds so fun!

Lori Mocha said...

SCRATCH AND SNIFF CHRIS MELONI!

Hahahahhahahahhaha!

That is brilliant. I love it.

Dgold said...

I'm liking the Good Things linkage.

D. Gold