Monday, December 08, 2008

Get It While It's Hot

I need to just get this out of the way right now: I seriously hope Santa brings me Beyonce's new CD. Dang! It's so good! "If I Were a Boy?!" "Single Ladies?!" Come ON - it can not be resisted. Or, at least based on the strength of those two songs alone, I have been solidly brainwashed and beaten into submission by The Man into believing that this album alone will complete me.

Another good thing about listening to the radio these days (if you're listening to KEZA, 107.9 like me....awww yeah) is catching "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. Aaah, the holidays. This song gets me every time. Remember back in the 70s when songs told stories? Please tell me your favorite. You know, like "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)." I'd like to compile a mix of old story songs but that could be a bit much...a whole lotta narrative. But back to this song....the last line is really the clincher. "somethingsomething...and the snow turned into rain." So sad and wistful and evocative. Well done, Dan Grayling Fogelberg.

I'm also asking the old fat man who lives at the top of the world (aren't myths awesome?) for all sorts of local art for Agnostic Consumer Winter High Holiday. Last Thursday I went to two great shows as well as the progressive shopping party and found at least a dozen things I'm pining for, such as everydamnthing at ddp gallery, coffee table books and the Arkansas Nature Lover's Guidebook from Nightbird books, Cindy Arsaga's encaustic paintings, and pretty yarn and knitting classes from Handheld.

If you want something special and colorful and interesting and very affordable, you also should check out Megan Chapman's Etsy shop. I want, like, nine of 'em all lined up in a square above my bed.

The books of Arkansas writer Suzi Parker would also be a good idea. And if the rumor I've heard is correct and her book, Sex in the South: Unbuckling the Bible Belt is being turned into a film, written by Beth Henley, then she's also definitely on her way to "I knew her back when....." Perhaps if social commentary isn't really your thing, then maybe 1000 Best Bartender's Recipes is? And if you don't like either of those, then what are you doing reading this blog?

6 comments:

FLIP said...

oh oh oh and who could forget.."I'm not talking bout movin in, and i dont want to change your life, but theres a cold wind blowin the stars are out, and id really love to see you tonight..." Come on now, who was that, Jon somebody and England someone or another?

Stephanie said...

My head is going to be thinking about 70's ballads all day today. First thing that popped in my head was "Cat's in the Cradle" for some reason. That song always makes my eyes well up a little.

Alannah said...

England Dan and John Ford Coley! I love that song!

And yes, Cat's in the Cradle is a tearjerker for sure. Oh that emotionally manipulative Harry Chapin...

kmhd said...

I do remember song storytelling but I remember storytelling videos more like Richard Marx's Hazard or Guns N' Roses's November Rain.

Step Right Up said...

Oh my gosh! I was watching the Sunday morning real estate home show where they show pictures of houses in the area set to music and listened to the oddest story telling song ever. "It Was A Very Good Year" I was disturbed but could not turn it off because I wanted to hear the end of that dang story song!

afro moon said...

off the top of my head..
She's Leaving Home by The Beatles..
good story song.

and don't forget -
free knitting lessons with Jamie!