Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dear President Obama,

That was some inauguration you had there! I watched it with my students and about 200 other people in the student union. Your address was as moving as I expected and brought me to tears several times. I do not believe that you alone will save us from our myriad crises, but I do trust you to inspire us to buckle down, work hard, and make difficult decisions.

I love that you promised to bring science back to its rightful place and that you included non-believers in our description of Americans. It's hard for me to trust our nation's leaders, but I think for the first time in a looong time we are in competent hands. Thank you for your even-handed, composed energy. And thank you for taking action right away, signing those executive orders to close Guantanamo and ban torture. These are significant and the rest of the world is taking notice.

I do not envy the work you have ahead of you. I know that I won't agree with every decision you make, but I hope to at least understand why you make them. I am ready to be optimistic.

Sincerely,
Alannah

P.S. Don't fuck this up.

5 comments:

stephanie said...

Amen.

John Mark said...

Word up.

One of my favorite parts of the Clinton library is the letters from regular people. The letters from Elton John, etc. were interesting, but the ones from people seriously effected by the decisions he was making, those were some tears of pride business right there.

PS: Your "don't fuck up" postscript will preclude it from being included in a future exhibit, unless this country seriously lets its hair down in the next couple years.

a Sarah said...

Nicely said.

5 of 9er said...

You could not pay me to be the President... no way. He has such a huge mountain to climb and only hundreds of stubborn politicians stand in his way.

I Know Right? said...

this is a great way to begin the new term A! I agree wholeheartedly.