Friday, January 16, 2009

Panacea

My sweetie called me yesterday and sounded awful, asking if I could stop and get juice and soup because he felt so sick. Now canned soup is fine if you're in a hurry but if you're sick there's nothing like homemade soup. And it's the easiest thing in the world to make. If you can chop vegetables and boil water, you can make soup.

Last night I wanted to make chicken stock from scratch because there's just something about getting all the marrow and life force out of the bones that makes a soup that much more delicious (and in my mind, healing).

Although I'm mostly vegetarian, it didn't bother me much to make it. I just threw chicken thighs, onions, celery, garlic, carrots and some fresh herbs (sage, oregano, rosemary, and thyme) with kosher salt and black pepper into about 8 or 9 cups of water and just left it alone for a few hours.

Then I filtered it through a colander set over another pot and set it aside to cool so I could scrape the fat off the top.

Meanwhile I sautéed a large diced onion and three big cloves of garlic, then added a large can of petite diced tomatoes, three small sliced carrots, four stalks of celery (cut in half and then chopped), and the stock. I decided to make it sort of like a tortilla soup and added some frozen corn and a can of chopped green chiles.

Man, it smelled delicious. So delicious that I decided to eat a bowl and return to vegetarianism tomorrow. How could I resist?
So then I chopped up some cilantro and green onions and mixed them with sour cream, a sprinkle of salt and some lemon juice to dollop on top.

And sliced some corn tortillas, sprayed them with cooking oil, sprinkled them with chili powder, garlic powder, and ground coriander and toasted them in the oven for about 10 minutes until they were crisp, or, in my case, overly dark and crisp.

It heals you when you aren't even sick. That's how powerful homemade chicken soup is.

5 comments:

AMD said...

I'm drooling! That soup looks divine!

Tell D to GET WELL SOONER!

xx

jessica said...

Wow...even I want to eat the soup! You are so inspiring in the kitchen...well in other places too but definitely in the kitchen.

kmhd said...

I'm a big fan of green chiles. I've recently started buying them regularly. They elevate just about any plate.

AMD said...

Alannah, did he homemade corn tortilla chips stay crispy for a bit? I'm going to make some this evening. Your way.

Alannah said...

Yes, they will stay super crispy for a long time. They're better and not as greasy as bagged chips...plus, you can tinker with the flavor (powdered spices). I'm making them again tonight to go with my black bean chowder!