Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where Have You Been?

Seriously...where have y'all BEEN?

Me? Oh, well...working, working, momming, Valentining, and getting ready for our Japanese student, Nozomi, who is staying with us for three weeks. It forces us to be on our best behavior (eating dinner at the dinner table instead of the couch. Real cooked food instead of popcorn. No dishes and laundry left out so long that we don't even notice, much less care, about them anymore).

Tonight she was at an international culture fair at a local elementary school and I started thinking about dinner. Local readers may think I ripped tonight's dinner off this delicious dish, but I'd actually been thinking of how to use all this leftover butternut squash soup for some time. I thought about how the texture of this soup is similar to tomato sauce so I wondered about using it in a lasagna.
I thought it needed something other than squash, pasta, and cheese so I raided my fridge. I found some sliced onions, a combination of button & crimini mushrooms, and a chiffonade of basil and fresh sage. Okay, I didn't find the herbs sliced like that, so I did put out some effort. Not pictured: fresh spinach leaves.
We had some gouda and mozzarella. Not pictured: ricotta mixed with minced garlic, oregano, and an egg.
Oh hey, looky here - pumpkin seeds toasted with a little bit of salt.
Layer all that.
And bake it at 450 for about 40 minutes covered by some foil. In the last few minutes I removed the foil and turned on the broiler to get it all brown and toasty on top.
Stella said it tasted much better than she thought it would. SCORE!!

2 comments:

Megan Chapman said...

Looks yummy and comforting.
Sounds like Stella gave it a ringing endorsement. :)

Stephanie said...

I love how you just happen to have things like gouda and crimini mushrooms on hand. Those are the kinds of ingredients I make a special trip to buy, for some deliciously exotic dish I saw while paging through a foodie magazine over a cup of joe at the bookstore.

When my Swedish step mom came to live with us years ago (while she studied at Spring!) we also ate dinner at the kitchen table every night and kept the house relatively neat... though when she helped, the cups and silverware were all rearranged and I could never find the vegetable peeler when I needed it.