Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Better Late Than Never

Last night I went around to all the neighbors to explain what had happened to us the night before and just give them a heads up to be aware of sketchiness in our neighborhood. This was probably long overdue, seeing as how we've lived here for over a year and didn't even know some of our neighbors' names. Everyone seemed appreciative and I have a new best friend: the 84 year-old woman who lives two houses down. She invited me in and before I could even tell her why I had come she had given me a Klondike bar and a brief tour of her favorite glass pieces in her house. She called herself an "ornery old lady" and I think I am in love with her.

Other than that, my visits confirmed that D. and I are most definitely the youngest people on our block. I can't decide if that is a good or bad thing. We are most certainly the most neglectful of our lawn.

I still wish all our houses had porches. They say that good fences make good neighbors, but I think porches make better neighbors.

5 comments:

marty said...

I read this article last night on front porches!

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/?p=707

Alisson said...

yum, a klondike bar.
sorry you had a scare--maybe you should get a taser and chase after "him" next time.

AMD said...

Getting to know yr neighbor is such a foreign concept to me. Actually, when I first moved into this neighborhood, I got to know my turd-tossing neighbor immediately.

Aside from the occasional wave, we aren't that tight around here.

Step Right Up said...

I've always dreamed of having a porch with a porch swing. It reminds me of my grandma's and aunt's and uncle's houses and hanging out with all my family.

Stephanie said...

I've thought about that - and I have friends in Sweden who adore the American Front Porch Culture, even as it becomes more and more a legend - how we hardly know our neighbors.

On the other hand, my bro lives in one of these new pop-up micro-lot neighborhoods in suburbian DFW, and it's like all the kids play out front in their drive ways, in the street and in each others houses, while the grown-ups (all in a very similar socio-economic group) seem like one giant family. My bro tells me about football watching parties where everyone brings their lawn chairs and coolers to one of the driveways where a projector tv plays the game on the garage door. At first this seemed so crazy and unorthodox, but then I realized how totally cool it was that they have this micro-lot culture going on.

Yeah, so front porches and neighbors. Completely underrated, as are 84-year old ladies.