Monday, May 18, 2009

When The Rain Finally Stopped

Friday afternoon was so crystalline beautiful, sunny, and warm enough for me to ask the Internet on whose porch would we be sitting for the evening. You may recall I have a thing for porches. "What's wrong with our back patio?" D. asked and I had to admit he did have a point. We get a full western view which means a lingering sunset. After wiping down the patio furniture, there was nothing stopping us. After a flurry of impromptu texts and two pizzas ordered from Little Bread Company, it was so nice to just crack open a bottle and wait for our guests to arrive. And let me tell you, we really lucked out in the friend department - you'd be hard-pressed to find more informed, entertaining, talented, no bullshit, helpful, (not to mention easy-on-the-eyes) folks around here.

D. couldn't believe I posted the spandex and dog collar photo from all those years ago. Here's how he looked Friday. No photo could do his eyes justice. And even after 2+ years, I am thrilled and grateful to have met someone so complementary. His patient, quiet, fair, and measured thoughtfulness offset my insane, emotional outbursts somehow.Sunshine again. We've known each other for 21 years and have been closer this year than ever before. This girl has got it going on.

Kelly! No matter what she says, I will continue to bring my camera and take her photo and I will not quit until I am able to get a picture that begins to capture her inner glow, beauty, and captivating eyes. She's also one of the funniest people I know and her emails during the week are often all that separate me from heavy duty medication.
Darren, wearing a great t-shirt and showing his even better smile. We haven't gotten to see Kelly & Darren as much lately so it was really good to catch up. Good, good people.
Orion was my hero during the ice storm. He brought me firewood every day so that we didn't freeze at night. I've known him since I was 14 and he probably has more potential blackmail material than anyone else outside my family but he likes me anyway! Just a stellar person. And an incredible cook! Who says real men don't make quiche?

Chicklet is judging you.
How many men does it take to assemble an oil lamp?

Saturday morning I took students to the Fayetteville Farmer's Market. These radishes caught my eye. They're so fresh and perfect. I need to buy them and eat them the French way (dipped in butter and salt). I have fallen back in love with the crunchy, pepper-y, delicious radish.

A few months ago we went to my brother-in-law's birthday party and D. couldn't get enough of the birthday cake, a perfectly spongy and rich chocolate cake. My sister said she got the recipe from the box of Hershey's cocoa powder. Last night I thought I'd try to recreate it for D. because he'd worked all day on his garage project and I had taken Lucy on a very long walk and then did the Wii Fit for almost an hour. So somehow I thought that evened it all out?

The end product was just as good, if not better, then the cake my sister made. Who knew? You've got to make the cake from the Hershey's cocoa box. Simple to make and so very good. The icing was a simple chocolate/butter/powdered sugar affair that I heated up a tiny bit so I could pour it over the top.


Oops, forgot to take a photo until I'd already dug in. I sprinkled cinnamon on my piece. MmmMMMM!

2 comments:

afro moon said...

The men might have assembled the oil lamp but it only takes me & some tweezers to get the fire burnin'
(dangerously high maybe but that's beside the point)
and the tweezers in the garbage disposal was not my fault

p.s. your words are too kind, especially since we all know Sunshine is the coolest one

carolyn says said...

please send cake to me now. i am only in boston till tuesday but that should be enough time to shi it deliciously