Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Copycat

I love reading about what my friends cook for dinner. In the past few months, both Stephanie and Jennifer have both written about making Salad Niçoise so it had been kicking around in my head for a while. Here in Arkansas we're in the early stages of summer and it's already past 80 most days. This means that I only want light, cool things for dinner. It also means that I can eat watermelon all day, every day....but that's probably for a different post.

Tonight I wanted to make Salad Niçoise but wasn't going to worry if it wasn't perfectly traditional. I stopped at ONF and got some key ingredients and headed home, where I could (nerdily) set up my still life:
I used this recipe as a template, but veered off at times. Here we have sherry vinegar, cider vinegar, and rice wine vinegar mixed together to equal 1/2 cup, 2 TBS minced shallots, 1 large pressed garlic clove, and 2 tsp. mustard (not Dijon, but some whole mustard mixed with the squeeze-bottle kind). I whisked this together, then added nearly a cup of olive oil, whisking constantly to form an emulsion.

After all that whisking, I added chopped basil & Italian parsley:

I boiled new potatoes and eggs and lightly steamed green beans. I grilled two tuna steaks as well. Then: the assembly. I layered chopped romaine lettuce, halved cherry tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, brined olives, and the tuna steaks. I made sure to mix each ingredient with a little dressing to make sure it was all lightly coated. I sprinkled more chopped parsley and basil, and then some capers on top. Voila! Delicious. Light, savory, crunchy, and very much a full meal.

Served with my favorite extremely affordable Pinot Grigio, Gabbiano. This goes for like $9 a bottle here.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that you used fresh green beans and grilled tuna. This is very much a complete meal - and now I feel my mouth watering... It's only 9 AM and I'm already looking forward to making Salad Niçoise for dinner!

Jennifer Erwin said...

Yum! Well done and gorgeous.