Thursday, June 04, 2009

Six Four

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Protests.

I was my daughter's age now, 14, when the indelible image of the lone man facing the tanks was broadcast all over the world.

From what I gather from my older, more political Chinese students, China has not changed much, if at all. They live in fear of their government and feel powerless on a daily basis.

Fear of loss of power (in this case, the government's) is probably one of the biggest causes of aggression, war, and violence.

Interesting how, if you look to nature, it's perfectly "natural" to want to gain power and keep it, and destroy one's rivals, but we humans are also gifted (cursed?) with consciences that guide us toward peace and justice. How messed up is that?

1 comment:

I Know Right? said...

I was listening to commentary from a Chinese Journalist who was mentioning that China has offered up the prospect of making lots of money being writers or tv personalities to those who would simply, "not question" mentioning also that the Tiananmen Square generation is more or rather was more politically active and now the younger generation is not. He also said, China seems to have their political power more solidified now than it ever has. I remember those images and new fotos vividly.