Monday, July 27, 2009

Still Need Time To Reflect And Write

So these pictures will have to suffice. These are just my favorites, so far, of the many I've been taking.

The students stayed awake all night the night before we left on our big bus trip so the first thing they did was sleep. I think this one of Glory and Noor is very sweet. Both are from Kenya and didn't know each other prior to this program. Boniface, from Kenya, sleeping.
Thulani, from South Africa, writing about his experience at the Central High School Historic Site in Little Rock.
Betta, from Nigeria, rides the escalator at the Clinton Museum & Presidential Center.
We enjoyed a really nice al fresco lunch (the weather on this trip couldn't be better...for July in the Deep South) at Boulevard Bread in the River Market in Little Rock. Here is Emmanuel, from Nigeria, Gwen, my comadre (thanks, Phil! Can you tell German was my 2nd language?) and lead instructor for the program, and Winnie from Kenya.
Beale Street at dusk.
The Lorraine Hotel sign, at the current site of the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.
Nice color study across the street from the National Civil Rights Museum
Outside the Stax Museum of American Soul Music. After the somber visit to the site of Dr. King's assassination, it was great to visit this museum. We danced our whole way through it.
In fact, after the Stax Museum, we put on our new soul music CDs and had a dance party on the bus. The first year I went on this trip we had several dance parties on the bus. It was the perfect release and very fun.
16th Street Baptist Church, command center during the protests in Birmingham in the early 60s, and site of a bombing in 1963 that killed four young girls.

This sign in Kelly Ingram Park was just too much. "No Dogs Allowed" in the park famous for protests during which police would set loose attack dogs on the rioters. Too weird and ironic....
Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama - location of "Bloody Sunday" and the beginning point in the Selma to Montgomery marches.
I love this photo, taken in downtown Selma near the bridge, of Betta from Nigeria, Yarima from Nigeria and Jacob from South Africa.
The whole dange group in front of the Maya Lin-designed Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama. Right up the road is the former White House of the Confederacy.
I like this photo of Gwen and me in a rare moment of repose.
Southern Poverty Law Center building. Isn't it beautiful? Too bad we were there on a Sunday and couldn't go inside.
Ebenezer Baptist Church at the Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Site in Atlanta. It was under construction so we couldn't go inside. When we went two years ago, we could sit in the pews and listen to recordings of Dr. King's sermons.
Oh, I Love this photo for so many reasons. Many of the students like to hold hands with us when we're walking around. It's such a sweet, warm gesture. I love it. This student, Noor, from Kenya, has just started opening up and wanting to hold hands with other people. Here he is with Gwen walking back from the King Center to the bus.
On the recommendation of a former Atlanta resident, we took the students to Mary Mac's Tea Room for lunch. Lip-smacking, belly-bustin', delicious Southern food! I had collard greens, fried green tomatoes, okra, and butter beans. Oh my...
Building in downtown Atlanta. I just like the shape of it.
Tomorrow is our last stop on the road trip before we head on to Washington, D.C. I will be excited to be in D.C. but sad to be off the bus, also. It's already well past 2am and I have so much more to say and tell y'all....but don't worry: I'm taking lots of notes and turning them all over in my head like a rotisserie chicken....

4 comments:

I Know Right? said...

i think the foto of Gwen and Noor holding hamds is fantastic. Especially considering the trip you are on and the hurdle that were overcome to allow THAT TO HAPPEN!!! So great Alannah. Oh, I do have one correction though, Gwen is your comadre, not compadre. Just so's you know. GREAT TRIP!!!!

Jennifer Erwin said...

I love the hand holding and sweet sleeping.

Alisson said...

Wow Alannah, thanks for sharing your trip. What a great experience for everyone on it. You work so hard and look at what you do. You should be proud.

Anonymous said...

Alannah! You are one, if not the most, amazing woman I know! I am so proud of you and so blessed you are a part of my life (at least in spirit for the time being :( Really missing you and Stella and hoping to see you sooner than later!!!

Ang