Thursday, October 01, 2009

Hormones Make The World Go Round

In two hours I will have my blood tested for possible hypothyroidism. All my symptoms point to it, but we'll see. I first started thinking about my thyroid when I read an article in the New York Times over the summer (still searching for it so I can link to it). I had nearly all of the same symptoms but hadn't thought that they might be related to one issue. I ignored most of them, as many busy women do. But I got concerned enough to make this appointment.

If I were patient and scientifically smart enough to be a doctor, I would definitely want to be an endocrinologist. The gland system is by far the most interesting and mysterious in the human body. It seems to affect every aspect of our health.

My new past time is online research into glands, hormones, and how they're all inter-related.

4 comments:

Angel said...

I'll be interested to hear your results. I've been tested for hypothyroidism twice in my life and my thyroid levels have always been normal. I think I just have a generally lethargic disposition--and with age it increases! Hope you get some relief!

Angel

Alannah said...

That's my biggest fear, Angel - that the test will come back normal and I'll just be naturally fat!!

Stephanie said...

I wonder if massage therapy helps with persnickety glands? ;)

Alannah said...

Stephanie, I know you don't believe me but "Call I.M. Spa" is currently #1 on my to-do list for next week!

Time is running out, don't I know it...