Wednesday, November 11, 2009

More Ranting, More Art

I will NOT get off this soapbox. This country needs health care reform so badly. We're in crisis and if anyone doesn't think so, they're in denial. Today, Veterans' Day, I read about 2,266 veterans who died last year because of insufficient health care. SHAMEFUL! Anyone who thinks the VA is a good system needs to carefully read this study. Anyone who thinks private insurance is the way to go needs to jump off a cliff.

My personal struggle continues. My jaw, head, and neck have been killing me all week and I can't afford to see the doctor. AND I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE. I am pretty concerned about other health issues I've been having but guess what? Can't afford it. Why the hell do I continue to pay these ridiculous premiums? Fear. Fear that I will become one of the more than 60% of people who file bankruptcy because of medical bills. I have a partner who lives in fear of getting sick because he doesn't have health insurance. I have a daughter whose father stopped paying child support over a year ago and with that child support, also the insurance that was part of the child support agreement. "Luckily" I JUST BARELY fall under the income guidelines for our state's Child Health Insurance Program. Yay me! I'm poor enough for my daughter to receive state support!


In other news...last week I visited my friend Flannery (an old friend, as well as her bf another old friend, Clint). She is gifted with an insanely imaginative artistic vision, coupled with such an eye for detail. It's no secret that I looooove jewelry and if I had my druthers, I'd have a studio like hers, etching and soldering away. You can see some of her other work here and here. Her prices might seem high...to normal folks like us, but trust me, she undersells herself once you consider not only the price of materials (metals and stones are NOT cheap, y'all) but the TIME involved in making such intricate pieces. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how many hours go into each lovely ring or necklace. Many, many, many would be a start.

She let me photograph some of her works in progress. I want every single one!!

Like this house locket that from the front looks like....a house with a faceted aquamarine (my birthstone. Just sayin'). She also hand forges the linked chain.
But on the inside, there's the awesome secret tableaux: antlers, a vase of gold flowers, golden boots below the entry table.
And also this handmade flower clasp!
Dude. Handmade Spanish tiles? Are you serious?
And this one! A massive faceted citrine (awesome in its own right) in front...
...and behind a tiny cat napping in a tiny hammock THAT SWINGS BACK AND FORTH!
Check out that etched wallpaper, too. Unbelievable.
Here we have a blue tourmeline bird house...
...with a ladder going up to a loft level. A tiny golden bowl. And that incredible etched gingko leaf wallpaper!
Flannery has owl motifs everywhere, as well as a few very impressive taxidermied owl feathered wingspans. This little pendant is so lovely.
Oh! And check out the pink tourmeline scorpion. Just awesome.
I had to get a shot of this corner of her house, full of treasured art pieces and plants. It says so much about her inspirations and personal taste.


Last week Stella and I went to our friend Golsa's latest exhibit as well. Golsa is Iranian and she paints women whose faces are inspired by women who protested the latest elections in Iran. Her work is powerful, moving, and often leaves me speechless and in awe.




I feel so lucky to know such amazingly talented women.

5 comments:

ste-pha-nie said...

The art: *pant* *pant* *pant* *pant*
The health care reform: Amen.

Stacy said...

Those pendants are amazingly beautiful! I want some too!

Wondering Woman said...

If you would fight for tort reform and insurance competition across state lines we would see if that could fix most of the problems before we ruin every aspect of what we now have, and it wouldn't cost a penny to do that.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Christine said...

Speaking of health care, I've been wondering why we never know the costs of health care procedures and treatments. How come I don't know the cost of a test or an office visit? I got a kick out of this fun, short video. Check it out. It makes you wonder why out health care system is set up the way it is.
www.whatstherealcost.org/45secondstoshare
What do you think?