Saturday, January 16, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

Christina called me at 8:30 this morning to say she was in labor "for real" this time. I've been waiting, not very patiently, for this call all day every day this past week. Saturday morning - what perfect timing! I made a cup of coffee and got right over there. By 11:45 she was holding her new beautiful boy. Like my niece, he was born in a birthing tub. Actually, now that I think about it, all three births that I've been fortunate to attend (as an adult) have been water births.

Water births seem so much calmer and more peaceful! This was fucking amazing. There is true magic in the moment when a new, breathing, squirming, little human comes into the room. With body fuzz and tiny fingernails and squashed pink faces. I will probably cry again just thinking about it.

And how incredible for me, who had Christina right next to me when Stella was born, to be able to do the same thing for her. I feel so very blessed and overjoyed and high from the whole experience.

Then this evening I went to the airport and picked up my Stella who was returning from her week in Orlando with the G/T students. She had "the best week" of her life. Even though we couldn't really afford it, I'm really so glad we were able to send her. You can't put a price on some experiences.

This little guy is worth everything in the world:

1 comment:

Marty Maxwell Lane said...

love you, love this. you ladies are very blessed to have each other to share these experiences with. what a great weekend.