Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Home Is Where The Snark Is

I want to protect my daughter's privacy and allow her teenage transgressions to happen in relative obscurity, but I will say that I do not feel comfortable leaving town if she is not with me, no matter what arrangements I have made for her care when I'm gone. So I sort of feel like I'm grounded, too. I wanted to visit friends in Little Rock this weekend because I never go to Little Rock just to have fun and not work. But I'll be at home. Where I've been since well before the holidays. Home, home, home. Good thing I love home.

But it's getting to me. So last night, after a glass or two of bubbly had gone straight to my head, I decided to have a party Saturday night. Relaxed and casual, but still - a party! I want to make party food and build a fire and clean the house and have people over.

Speaking of food, I know I've been totally neglecting the "Meals" section of this here blog. Why don't I pull out my good camera to document each step of the meal? Well...it's Winter. The light isn't good in the kitchen this time of year. But really? I just forget. Luckily I sometimes remember to snap photos with my phone. So here are some phone photos of recent meals:

You can't really tell what this is, but I bet you know it's Winter food. Bear grub. It's leftover shepherd's pie with a hearty mushroom sauce on top. Eaten while wearing wool socks and watching the snow fall. Nothing goes better with a can of champagne (ha!).
This was a breakfast I made myself over the snow holiday. It's corn tortillas filled with a slice of ham and some white cheddar topped with fried eggs, salsa, and arugula. YUMMY brunch at home food.
Stella requested Thai noodle soup last night so I cut a bunch of corners and made it quick and dirty (and delicious) using canned chicken broth, coconut milk, frozen shrimp, tofu, ginger, onions, red pepper, jalapenos, and garlic. Then I just assembled all the toppings - cellophane noodles, bean sprouts, cilantro, green onions, fresh jalapenos, and Sriracha sauce.
I can't wait to have leftovers tonight!

Oh looky here. This isn't a meal. But he's so little and skinny you could probably wrap a hot dog bun around him. Trouble maker!

No comments: