Monday, March 22, 2010

Morning After Thoughts

A big aspect of my job that I'm very grateful for is how it allows me to see my culture through outsiders' eyes. I'm always answering the funniest and oddest questions that I'd never think to ask because it's such a part of my everyday life. One thing our international students were never able to understand was our health care system. It's not hard to see why...hell, I barely understand it. What I did understand was that insurance companies got richer and richer, more and more people were denied coverage, prices got higher and higher....and I felt like the entire system was destined for imminent implosion.

How many more times could I bitch about my own miserable health insurance (that I've since dropped, finding it more of a cost than I could handle, thereby probably making my co-workers' premiums higher in the long run), or worry about friends who couldn't afford to see doctors, or attend yet another benefit for the medical expenses for some artist, musician, underemployed friend, or child who couldn't NOT receive care?

I do not think this House Bill is the Holy Grail, or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or a panacea, by any means. I do think it is a start. And I'll take it.

No comments: