Thursday, May 06, 2010

Hopefully Worth Millions of Words

It's been a really rough past few weeks for me. It's mostly personal stuff, but also professional...and mostly relating to where those edges blur together. Basically, I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm tired of being too busy to do the things that replenish my soul, so to speak. I'm tired of not being able to see my friends and family who keep me sane. I try to see them when I can, but not for those good weekend-long visits. I feel like I'm failing on all fronts because of it. So I'm rethinking a lot of things. There are aspects of my job that I love so much and am deeply passionate about. But the time it takes, and the energy it sucks out of me that I can't give to my daughter, boyfriend, friends, and family is really taking its toll. Something's gotta give and I don't want it to be my sanity. I need time to think about it before I even write about it. Nothing is more important to me than my friends and family. NO THING. NOTHING. And I need to keep that in mind when making major life decisions. If the purpose of life is to make, sustain, and nurture love then I have some serious making up to do.

Stay tuned.

In other life stuff, last weekend a bunch of my girlfriends got together at a cabin on the Buffalo River. I was working, taking a group of students to Little Rock, so I couldn't go, but I did get to meet up with my friend Natalie who came up for the weekend from Austin. I hadn't seen her in several years and we did our best to cram all our catching up in a few hours over breakfast at War Eagle Mill.


This is the view driving to War Eagle from Hwy 303:

Stella & Natalie under the bridge:
Natalie & me on the bridge:
Natalie, warrior goddess, midwife, mother, creative genius, force to be reckoned with:
Relic of the past:
Stella on the bridge:
The old house at the mill. The descendant of the founders of the mill still lives here:

Built in 1907. And yes, kind of scary to drive over:

Most delicious salad ever. Mixed baby greens, cucumber, carrot, tomato, green onions, a few capers, avocado, and shrimp marinated in garlic and parsley, cooked just long enough to plump up. Dressing of really good olive oil (Thanks AMD!), dijon mustard, and sherry vinegar. Simple, fresh, and SO GOOD:
This is a picture hanging over the back booth at Flying Fish seafood restaurant in Little Rock. I wish I could figure out how to smuggle it out. In the meantime I'll just stare at this captivating photo of Swamp Jesus:
Freaking adorable SOLO cat, watching her mama navigate a new phone:
The betrothed:
Solo with the dreamy eyes:
Melancholy Hot Dog:

Has it been this emotional and unsettling and crazy and weird and bad for everyone else? Hang in there, y'all....and turn off the news. It only makes it all worse.

No comments: