Friday, August 27, 2010

But What I SHOULD Be Focussed On

It hasn't been so awful the whole time.  It's just felt like it!  Here are some things going well:

  • No matter how intense or heated our conflicts have gotten, Stella and I always come back to the place of mutual respect, love, and support.
  • I continue to expand my knowledge of the world through my work.  Recent issues and incidents have prompted me to research Kurdish history in Turkey, the education system in Mexico, violent military attacks on civilians, the aftermath and eventual healing in Mozambique, rural doctors & public health in Vietnam, domestic abuse shelters & system in Russia, human rights abuses in Russia, civil rights movement in Brazil, and lots of hot international soccer players.
  • D. and I are more in love than ever.  It's been over 3 1/2 years and I'm finally experiencing the gradual shifts in depth of emotions, riding the highs and working through the lows, and learning more all the time about compromise, respect, and honoring my partner.  I feel incredibly lucky that I met this man at a time when I REALLY wanted to explore this facet of the human experience.  In many ways this is my first truly adult relationship and I am so glad I waited until my 30s because I am grateful every day for this man who loves me, loves my daughter, makes me laugh until my stomach hurts, has a gift for relating to animals, has a sharp analytical eye for politics and current events, and loves my friends. 
  • D.'s mom and I have been making jewelry together (or, at least, we DID before my summer turned inside out), chit-chatting, sipping champagne, and playing with pretty stones.  That's good stuff.  
  • We finally instituted chore assignments for D., Stella, and me and we each know what we're responsible for and it's really helped keep some small level of order in this hurricane of chaos.
  • Peppers, tomatoes, and basil in my garden.  
  • Silly as it sounds - Facebook for keeping me in touch w/ my friends all over the world.
  • A Friday night last month when my friend Hannah had me over for dinner.  Although we usually have tons of people around us for big dinners, get-togethers, etc. this time it was just the two of us.  We ordered in pizza, made cocktails and watched Greenberg.  Perfectly awesome night.
  • Speaking of good movies - I am grateful for Winter's Bone and The Kids Are All Right - two of the best films I've seen in ages.
  • Which also reminds me - Netflix streaming through the Wii.  What an obnoxiously yuppie thing to be grateful for.  But I mean it.  
  • Colombiamex.  Taquieria that might be a front for heaven on earth. 
  • When Django the new dog and Rocket, the newish cat, have their daily make-out session  Man do they ever loooooove each other.  Video coming soon.

No comments: