Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hot and Bothered


(I couldn't find the Royal Trux original. I love this song so much. This is a great cover, though)


My daughter started high school last week. HIGH SCHOOL. The same high school I went to. What a complete mindfuck. Pardon my French. That phrase makes me laugh. Why is "French" the euphemism for potty mouth?

Today was also the first day of our fall term. Usually we get a little break in between terms but not this summer. This summer didn't have as many programs going on as in the past but that didn't seem to matter. The programs I did have took all my energy and what was left over was vacuumed up with parenthood. This was an intensely challenging summer for me as a parent.

We also got a new dog. She just showed up and decided we needed to be her new owners. She's adorable. But a little shit. What were we thinking???

I'm still reeling from the past few months and thinking that I'm a failure at everything. It's one thing to devote all your energy to your job and succeed at it...but I don't feel like I am. I'm certainly not succeeding in the patient, understanding, effective parent arena. Nor the loving, attentive, charming girlfriend one. And CERTAINLY not the boundary-respecting woman who takes care of herself. Everything has failed because it is physically impossible to try to do everything I've tried to do.

Meanwhile it's been over 100 degrees for weeks. No rain. and I'm finally writing for the first time in forever at 1am on a work night. I'll never learn.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

It's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow :-)