Tuesday, November 02, 2010

All Flosculation, All The Time

Okay, I haven't written anything about the mid-term elections or politics lately. Frankly, I'm saddened and disgusted by the fear-mongering, horrific marketing campaigns by the candidates and PACs. Don't get me started on the TEA party nonsense. Every time I've asked myself, "Are Americans REALLY this ill-informed and willfully ignorant?" I've had to sadly answer, "Yup. Guess so..." I know we're all busy and exhausted...but come ON, people - take a minute to research things. Read an article or two. Don't rely on what's spoonfed to you by biased television shows. I know FOX News is an easy target, but I'm just as disgusted by MSNBC. It's like a playground war. "You're a bully." "You said it first!" "Don't boss me!" AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Everyone just shut UP!!!!

I liked this article very much. Please read it and tell me what you think. It seems to sum up what I believe to be true. I do not regret for one minute voting for Barack Obama. I think he may be out of touch with the anger and willful ignorance of most Americans. I can't tell you how many discussions I've had with coworkers or grocery store checkout clerks or random people wherein they bitch about "the economy" or "Obamacare" but IN THE SAME BREATH also complain about medical costs and taxes....when, if they just did a little reading, would realize that our government is actively working to improve these issues!

* deep breath *

Soooo, on to what I really wanted to share with you today. This whimsical-but-valid project from The Oxford Dictionary folks is great! The web site is great. I urge you to save a word or two! As for me, who knew I was already a slave to flosculation? This word is so endangered that my spellcheck doesn't even recognize it!

In honor of endangered words, I thought I'd feature a few more of my favorite words:

  • autumnal - I'm thinking of this word nearly every day during this beautiful, extended, unnaturally warm Fall. Everything is autumnal!
  • peripatetic - so much fun to say. Also, my goal in life.
  • flummoxed - yup. This is me. Almost every day.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I love words and flummoxed has always been one of my favorite. I too am disappointed with the election results...maybe a few of the right wing republicans should live for a few years in a foreign country they might gain some perspective. Probably not,

Today at school there was a volleyball tournament for the teachers, after we all stood outside ate raw fish and drank shots of soju (Korean rice vodka) while students were still milling around. One of the teachers kept filling my shot glass and announcing "one shot" meaning shoot it. They really like to laugh at me, but in a good, harmless sort of way...I amuse them. I don't mean this in any sort of belittling way but all the Koreans I have met so far have all been incredibly sweet. They feel an automatic need to take care of me and make sure I am okay. It is just hard to figure out what they are saying.