Tuesday, December 07, 2010

"If I Share With You This Story, Would You Share Your Dollar With Me?"

What a week. Wednesday evening my sister Jessy, Stella, and I drove down to Horatio, AR, about a four hour drive. I hadn't been to my grandmother's hometown in at least 10 years, but Jess and I both remembered how to get places (not hard - it's a town of less than 1,000 people). It was heartbreaking seeing my grandmother and my great-uncle's wife and daughter so dad and distressed, but I was really glad to get to see so much of my extended family on my mother's side. It was also very good for Stella to get to see all that family. We're a funny bunch - weird and emotional and Southern.

One day I'll have to write about the funeral itself. It was cinematic...if you like sad, weird, funny movies like I do.

We turned around and drove home Thursday evening. Then I got up Friday morning and drove a group of students to Little Rock (3 hours). I did get to have a fun dinner with friends and laughed really hard for the first time in days and days. Saturday the weather in Little Rock was lovely and mild. But I was barely hanging on. Sunday I couldn't do much of anything but forced myself to vacuum and clean out the refrigerator.

And here we are in the working week again. It's holiday season which means lots of parties and overeating and overdrinking. I'm trying not to...but I love food and drink so it's hard.

I'm starting to think about putting together my annual Christmess Mix CD....I know it will have my favorite song of 2010 on it. This song could very well be America's anthem for 2010. Enjoy!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Glad you're back! I usually end every Friday night with a whiskey and this song.. really loud. I think it's a fitting end to the work week.