Thursday, January 20, 2011

How I Spent My Snow Day

The best thing about living in the not-quite-Midwest, not-quite-the-South, anomalous Ozarks in the winter is Snow Days. There are few things in life better than waking up to a colorless, peaceful, white out and learning, snuggled under the warm covers, that your workplace is closed for the day. Unplanned holiday!

Here's I spent mine today:
  1. Wandered around the living room alone, drinking coffee and petting the animals.
  2. Warmed up leftover tortilla soup with crunchy tortilla strips, queso fresco, diced avocados, and chopped cilantro on top.
  3. Watched The Parallax View - very good, very 70s. Would make an excellent double feature with The Conversation (released the same year).
  4. Got beans soaking for tonight's chili.
  5. Pondered the state of things.
  6. Did 3/4 load of laundry.
  7. Started fire with snowy logs because I forgot to bring in firewood last night.
  8. Read the Oxford American from Winter 2006 and discovered the artist Wayne White with whom I'm now tragically obsessed. How did I miss out on him until now?
  9. Debated brownies (AND chili? Are you insane, you homebody fatso?)
  10. Made chai instead, steaming the milk and achieving that perfect, dense foam.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a quarter load of laundry to finish and a few outstanding moves in Words With Friends.

1 comment:

Gary Graefen said...

Cool Recipes!
I like your style