Friday, January 07, 2011

Recommitments, Not Resolutions

I've never really liked New Year's Resolutions. I feel like they set me up for failure. Plus, they're pretty much always the same. However, I do like the idea of having a fresh new year, especially after the overindulgences of the holidays, in which I can get back on track and steer myself back toward healthier patterns.

So, for what it's worth, here are my 2011 Recommitments:
  • Eat mostly plants and whole grains, using refined foods (primarily SUGAR), dairy, and meat sparingly.
  • Exercise at least 3x per week.
  • Walk the damn dogs.
  • Make quality time for my family and friends a priority over work.
  • Read. Read things printed on paper. Read only. Away from glowing screens.
  • Take a class or learn a new skill (tops on my list: knitting, dancing, pottery, Spanish language)
  • Focus on gratitude and the things that are going well.
  • Record my grandmother's stories.

I'm not superstitious about anything except for eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I don't know why. But this year I didn't do it. I was feeling tired and crappy and even though I was offered some from a friend and all I had to do was go pick them up, I was feeling too run down to do even that. BUT, I did make some Wednesday night. I love Hoppin' John and vary my recipe every time I make it and this did not disappoint one bit. This time I included (in addition to of course onions, garlic, and spices) carrots, celery, red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, and turkey sausage.
I was inspired by how my Brazilian students prepare their greens for feijoada, sliced so very thin (I've watched students snip them with scissors, even) so that is how I cut my collards. Then I just wilted them in a pan with nothing but their own juices used to cook them. This resulted in a very light and flavorful side to the spicy, heavier bean dish.
And corn muffins. A switch for me who usually prepares skillet cornbread. Sometimes I like to do things differently, although I DID miss the crunchy, buttery crust you get from adding the corn batter to a hot, buttered skillet.
LOTS of hot sauce and chopped cilantro on top. This had better bring on the luck because 2010 was a colossally shitty year. There I go, focusing on the negative again. RECOMMIT TO GRATITUDE, Alannah. Geez.

3 comments:

Bettina said...

Happy New Year, beautiful! xxx

AMD said...

Good recommitments!

I like your booby cornbreads.

Ulyssette said...

Those are some good-looking muffins!