Thursday, November 08, 2012

Down to Brass Tacks

Oh, my friends.  I have so much to discuss and all this time of no blogging has resulted in a mental geyser.  I don't even know where to start so for the next few weeks I'm sure I'll be all over the place and will jump subjects and go off on tangents. 

But I'd better make sure that y'all know the main impetus for my return to blogging - my upcoming trip to Kazakhstan.  I leave on Saturday for ten days in Kazakhstan!

See..you know how I had a horrible summer (believe me...if you're already sick of hearing about it, imagine how over it I am)?  I had a long sit-down with my boss.  I wanted to leave....at that point almost anything would have felt like an improvement over that feeling of being a shriveled, useless collection of cells, even waiting tables again.  Hey, I loved waiting tables!  So, in the meeting with my boss, we discussed ways to make my job less intense and draining, and more worthwhile.   Now was definitely the time to be having that conversation.   It's an interesting time in my life...with Stella almost out of the house when I'm this age (37).  In the next year my life will drastically change.  Probably the biggest change since I had her.   Anyway...my boss and I agreed that I could be traveling more.  We've got a semi-offical mandate to really increase the University's diversity in the next ten years.  So one thing I could be doing more of is exactly what I'll be doing for ten days, beginning November 10 - attending college fairs to recruit international students and arranging meetings with Ministry of Education officials to discuss possible collaborations and training programs we could provide. 

I'm trying to give myself a Google crash course in Kazakh history and culture, ten minutes here and there. 

It'll be quite an experience.  I have exactly one stamp in my passport.  From 1999, Gatwick Airport.  So this will really be something for me. 

I'll have internet just about everywhere we're going so keep checking back.  My goal is to write it all down so I can remember everything. 




Kazakhstan?


1 comment:

Stacy @ Stacyverb said...

What an exciting opportunity! Can't wait to read all about your adventures.