Sunday, April 28, 2013

Learning Lessons The Hard Way

Sometimes I wonder if that's the only way I ever learn.  You know that feeling?

I had a scare yesterday morning where I thought I had lost or had my wallet stolen.  My heart stopped beating for a few hours until the girls at the hotel front desk located it....at the restaurant where I'd had lunch the day before. I couldn't believe how stupid I'd been.  That's not like me, especially when traveling.

Later that afternoon we all went down to the hotel conference ballroom for the big college fair.  I'd stuck my phone in my suit jacket pocket, so I could quickly look up words to translate or information.  The room quickly got very hot so I took my jacket off and hung it on the chair behind me.  Do you know where this is going?  Because it's going where you think it is.  Our table was set up so that my chair faced the stream of students walking past.  Next time I had a chance to check for my phone it was gone.  A little later we found out another college rep had his iPad go missing too.  I had to go into the conference restrooms and have a small crying jag/breakdown.  After the wallet fiasco I felt like I just looked so AMATEUR and careless and stupid to my colleagues.  Then there's the trauma of losing my connection to home, all my photos...all my MUSIC that saves my life on long flights?  Such a First World complaint and yes, that comes into sharper focus when traveling like this - the fact that I am a product of the First World.

On the other hand, this is what I'm looking at right now:

Beach across from my hotel.  Boa Viagem district, Recife, Brazil. 

Tuesday I should have time to go here.  Yes.

1 comment:

AMD said...

Ugh, gal. UGH. So sorry! xx