Friday, April 26, 2013

Sao Paulo, Briefly

Oi!

Yup, I made it to Brazil.

Last night some former students met me at the hotel and took me out into the city.  We took the subway into the center of the city to the Luz Station, which was moved, brick-by-brick, from England.  The locals are very proud of it.  "It looks just like Harry Potty!  Station 9 1/2!" they kept saying.   Right next to the station is the incredible Museu da Lingua Portuguesa, (link takes you to English Wikipedia page) one of the few museums in the world dedicated to a language.  I was so mesmerized by its technological wizardry and unique hands-on exhibits that I forgot to take photos.  If you're ever in Sao Paulo, though - GO!!

Luz Station

Watching the madness from one level above
Although there is police presence everywhere, apparently it's A-Okay to stand DIRECTLY next to the tracks and shove people into the next oncoming train.
Yet another view of the crowds at Luz Station
Scary-looking power lines everywhere



Photos from my phone:

Outskirts of the city
Like this but in every direction, as far as the eye can see
Sao Paulo is the largest city in South America.  Photo to prove it.

Post-Instragram filter
Rush hour in the subway.  Utter chaos.
Memorable dinner.  Shrimp the size of my face, grilled asparagus & the most flavorful delicious grilled shiitake mushrooms.
There is amazing street art everywhere you look.


Tomorrow is our last day in Sao Paulo - and tomorrow night I'm supposed to go to a student's home for a Brazilian barbecue.  Um, yes please!  Then early Sunday we're flying to Recife, Tuesday we'll be in Natal, Thursday in Rio and then, with tragically little time there at all, I'll fly out Saturday night to return to Arkansas...where we begin a new program the same day that I arrive AND I'll need to move to a new house instantaneously.  Eeep!  No rest for the wicked. 

2 comments:

I Know Right? said...

this is an awesome trip! I hope you are living it up!!

Carrie said...

Yes, living it up is right! So proud of you and happy for you that you get to travel like this for work!